PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to bin the Red Arrows
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 10:29
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beagle, perhaps "subsidised" is not the best word there. With your knowledge of such things, can you explain the "Entitled" bit that we put on the voucher when we sign for fuel. Is that not in order to get a better rate?

As for landing fees, you quite rightly state that the rules are clear, but you fail to mention ( for the benefit of those not familiar with the system ) that the clubs do not pay any landing fees or hangar charges for club aircraft or aircraft owned by club members.

This makes flying at an RAF club substantially cheaper than the civvy airfield a few miles down the road. In some cases, half the price of doing so.

For retired service people with their own aircraft, this can make it viable, or even attractive as opposed to it being out of the question on cost grounds.

I would just like to add that having a busy flying club on a station can help to keep some units in current practice. With the reduction in operational flying, there can be days where the only action that ATC get to deal with is the flying club.

It would be a shame if the facilities afforded to the clubs were to be withdrawn, but if they were taking money away from front line work (which they are not) then nobody would be able to argue the point.

As I see it, the RAFFCA setup is worth the money, but I suppose the Reds say that about their bit, as will everyone else.