PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Winter Operations
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 10:26
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
GKaplan - my point was not really a 92 vs 225 debate rehash, just about the pros and cons of fitting rotor deicing to helicopters flying out of Aberdeen. As I said, for the oil companies its a matter of weighing up the additional cost and lost payload of the rotor deicing vs the days lost and disrupted due to inability to fly in icing conditions without positive temp band above the minimum operating altitude.

Currently the oil companies are of the view that its not worth the deicing for Aberdeen, whereas it is worth the deicing for Norwegian aircraft since the climate is just that bit colder on the other side of the N Sea.

Its a similar argument for snow clearing of runways and roads - is it worth investing/spending lots of money in equipment and staff to nearly eliminate disruption, or is it better to take a balanced view that we will have a modicum of equipment and staff at moderate cost and accept the disruption on a few days.

The only difference is this one can be tackled on a sliding scale, whereas its a black and white decision to either fit rotor deicing or not. But as I said, even with rotor deicing (costing around a million euros I think for a 225) there are still some days when it would be dangerous to fly, in case it failed. So you don't actually gain that much for your million.

HC