PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Standbys
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 10:16
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F14. "Good roster, sleeping in your own bed every night." I think you'll find that many crews do not live where they work and thus are not in their own bed every night. From reading threads over the past year it would seem that many spend their 'days off' commuting to get to their own bed for only 2 or even 1 night. It's been told that some F/O's have forgone command to stay at home rather than be posted to the ends of Europe on 5/3 and precipitate family breakdowns. It's also been reported that base swaps to be at home for both parties is mostly rejected. I'm sure the 'own bed' propoganda covers only 50% at most. Perhaps those on the inside can correct me.
I still find it hard to understand the concept of being self-employed, not allowed to work for anyone else, no guarantee of work/income, having to give notice to leave and being compelled to be on duty for no pay. Extraordinary. Paying for your job is one thing; working for no pay is another entirely. And, how can you give notice to someone who does not employ and does not guarantee you work? Does RYR offer the same in return?