PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC coverage of snow issues
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 09:11
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of you just don't get it do you?

Tf, yuh, actually plenty of us do 'get it'. What we don't get is that when some numpty be it a talking head or passenger that hasn't had food for five whole hours, (do they get up in the middle of the night to eat I wonder?) can't work out that if it's difficult and or dangerous to drive a motor vehicle in snowy and icy conditions, the same may apply to a heavier than air machine.

I still disagree re being frightened, if you're in a car in a remote location yup that can be cause for concern, (got that T-shirt a week ago btw). In an aeroplane that's at a large airport where eventually you can get people into shelter, from the shelter of the aeroplane) it just needs a bit of perspective, life could, and can be far worse.

Mjp
I agree the airport companies need to put somone up who can explain in 'Janet and John' english what's going on and why, and why times can't be set in stone.

My guess re the runway is that they have a significant compact layer of ice that has frozen to the surface. De-icer and anti Ice will have a limited effect if that's the case, and you can't use salt/saline.