PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Concorde crash
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2010, 08:33
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Safety Concerns's answer in http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...ml#post6134862 to the question of whether US law or British law produces a "safer" aviation environment does take some beating!

However, I might suggest that the answer to the question
Originally Posted by Safety Concerns
So who do I believe? An anonymous american poster or a statement made under oath to a UK Transport Select Committee hearing on the workings of the UK CAA.
is not as obvious as it may seem.

First, I've talked to them, too, back in the days when I was a public busybody and the reboutable Mrs. Dunwoody was running it. I told them back in 1998 that if they didn't take my advice on the NERC development I was afraid we'd be back the next year repeating the show. They didn't. NERC came on-line five years later, as I recall.

Second, you can of course tell them anything you believe, without being grilled on the evidence, because none of them are scientists or engineers, unfortunately. If I had been on the committee, I would have asked the witness for the measurements he had taken which showed conclusively that the British approach led to greater safety. I would ask him how he measured safety, for one thing. For on the most obvious statistics, namely rates of major crashes, it most certainly does not rest! They are the same, modulo rarity of events: virtually none.

PBL