PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOC 1 Gp breaks ranks
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2010, 16:39
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
A Tipping Point

Whilst we still have Trident, we can pretend to be at the top (defence) table but there comes a point when our conventional forces reach a 'tipping point' where we are unable to field the necessary military pressure and can only go along with somebody else. That 'somebody else' will never be the Euro Army if we want to win but it could continue to be a NATO - and hence explicitly US - 'somebody else' as we do at present. Many will feel we passed that point awhile ago

I believe our armed forces are now enfeebled to a degree where we have both major gaps in capability and serious deficiencies in volume. I am also concerned that the recent defence cuts - don't justify it as a 'review' - needs to be rebalanced now we know what the whole picture is. For example, should we press on with the Puma upgrade or should we apply that money somewhere else. What is the true cost of pressing ahead with Nimrod.

If the two carriers are being bought in part because of the costs of cancelling them, what is it going to cost to make them capable of operating the conventional version of JSF. Perhaps Government should say something like; 'we'll pay you for the work done and the money you've committed thusfar, but we did warn you not to sign those contracts and we won't pay you compensation but we will give you contract work to the equivalent value to produce the ships we actually want/need. If you want to sue, go ahead but then no more work from us'.

At present we see the odd retired chappie writing in 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' mode to the newspapers but there is no concerted campaign to get the Government to retain what is really required for our security and the service chiefs - Bagwell excepted perhaps - seem to be supine; yet we know they aren't happy so why won't they fight for what's needed?

Rant over - I'm going outside now and I may be some little time!

Old Duffer --- in Captain Oates mood