PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Standbys
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2010, 15:44
d105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stan,

I completely understand where you are coming from. Granted we should not have to pay for a type rating, we should be able to have a steady income, and all that without getting into debt first.

But the problem is when it comes to principles versus reality, reality usually wins. And unfortunately for me, ending the sixth year of my young carreer, and many other young pilots this is/was the reality when we got into aviation.

Coming from a small country with no national carrier. Ryanair was the best option at that time. Frankly speaking, it was the only option. So I, and along with me many others, swallowed the bitter pill. Because any job and thus any income still beats sitting around at home with no income at all.

Spandex,

You're right in your convictions. And believe you me I wish our industry still worked the way you describe it. But as you say there's no point living in the past.

Not pointing this comment at you specifically Spandex. But how fair is it really to pick on people trying to make the best of a situation that isn't even of their own making. A lot of older pilots love to reminisce about the "old" days. Well, they were there at the very beginning when the rock started rolling down the hill. When I look at the situation now, I can only conclude they did nothing at all to stop it early on.

edit: The reason why I'm still working for Ryanair is because I'm one of the lucky few who managed to secure a base position within driving distance of my actual home. I understand my situation is the exception rather than the rule, and thus all the comments that I make should be viewed in that light.

Last edited by d105; 20th Dec 2010 at 15:54.