PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmibaby to have Prestwick as Scottish base/hub??
Old 28th Aug 2002, 06:59
Deeko01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMI Baby new hub at Pretwick!?

Hi,

from todays Herald :

New budget airline set to fly from Prestwick to Spain

MARK SMITH

A NEW budget airline is set to operate out of Prestwick airport within the next three months, and it is believed it will be offering flights to Spain. Ryanair, the Dublin-based no-frills carrier, at present uses Prestwick as its Scottish hub.

While the airport itself and the handful of budget carriers that operate in the UK have remained silent on the new carrier's identity, bmibaby, the newly-formed low-cost subsidiary of bmi British Midland, has been touted as the most likely candidate.

It is also thought the airline will probably offer Scottish travellers direct scheduled flights to Spanish destinations.

Tom Wilson, managing director of Glasgow Prestwick International airport, said: "I can say we're in advanced, serious discussions with another budget carrier and that within the next three months we should have new services. It's not final yet, although it's close."

He added: "It will involve city destinations in Europe and will be complementary to Ryanair services. At this stage, I just can't say which airline it is."

Bmi yesterday was giving little away. A spokesman said: "Yes, we are looking for a base, but we're not saying where."

-----------

I hope this is the case as its about time Scotland was opened up to more foreign destinations by low frills carriers, The BAA I know had knocked back an attempt by easyjet to compliment there amsterdam service with new flights elsewhere.

If it does happen the BAA will have to quickly realise this is what we want up here and let Easyjet operate from Glasgow and Edinburgh to Spain, Portugal, France because there is a market for it.

But all in all good for the scottish economy!