PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QAR decode/ hard landing?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2010, 11:12
Qbix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QAR decode/ hard landing?

Recently I requested QAR data from my alleged 1,6G landings (B737NG). The thing is that these landings in my opinion were far from anything close to 1,6G landing.
I know it because in fact once I did 1,54G landing (another company) and thought that left a piece of airplane behind. Really embarrassing...

The company I fly for is crazy about soft landings (China). They are providing on request QAR data which I think is sampling at the rate of 1 frame/ sek. Pretty slow to me.

Among other things there are 8 air/grnd sensors, 8 accelerometers, RA, IAS, GS, VS, pitch,N1, etc
The landings look normal. N1 ok, descend rate reducing from 800-900 to 50-100ft/min, speed ok, pitch normal...
You can see from following frames that another A/G sensors change from AIR to GRND. Then there are 8 values of vertical acceleration. At the peak of any of them the values are:
1,63 1,37 0,87 0,68 0,91 1,18 1,21 1,02. As you can see one of them reaches 1,6G and this for the company is hard landing.

Another example at the touchdown: 0,76 1,23 1,73 1,61 1,01 0,60 0,72 1,05

I wouldn't have any doubts if I smashed the plane to the ground but again these landings were soft! The only thing I have doubts about is that I didn't fly the front gear to the ground. Just dropped it... Maybe it has something common with this?

Another strange thing about the whole system is that if you pull a really nice landing and go to the MAINT/ ALPHA through the FMC you can see VGTD of 1,37-1,41G Sometimes even 1,55G!
In the previous company I could check max G load as well. Did it different way (can't remember how) and usually the landings were around 1,05- 1,15G.

Any clues??
Does any of you have access to more detailed information about QAR system?