PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why did RAF CHIVENOR Close??
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2010, 10:01
roons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those were the days !!!

I left RAF melksham (trade training) and was sent to somewhere called "CHIVENOR" IN 1960 IT WAS 229 OCU, I 'joined' 145 Squadron (which was one of two squadrons based there) We were the squadron based in the hangars nearer to the rail line.
The aircraft were the lovely HAWKER HUNTER, I worked on the Mk 4 & T7.
The weather at Chivenor always seemed to lend itself to many flying hours, and not many days were lost to weather conditions, but in my time there - 1960 to 1965 - two bouts of weather remain in my mind.
I believe it was in the autumn of 1960 when we had very bad floods, the rail line to Exeter from Barnstaple was washed out, the river TAW burst its banks and flooded much of the surrounding area.
1963 was more dramatic that was the year of the BIG FREEZE the whole area was under much snow & ice, The 22 squadron helicopters were on mercy missions all over the county, dropping supplies to many stranded communities, farms etc.
I can remember that there was still evidence of snow in the edges of the fields right into MAY.
One abiding memory of that big freeze was a journey from Wrafton to raf beverly & back... I was part of the Chivenor cross country team, to take part in the fighter command competition- even though the country was under severe winter conditions were we tasked to attend. so we journeyed at about 9am until we arrived late at night to have a quick meal before bedding down.Bearing in mind that there was deep layer of snow & very icy conditions all around, the information at this time was that the officer in charge would make a course inspection early next morning. At breakfast we were informed that the competition was off !!! (No surprise to any of us,as you could not even walk around the camp safely !!).
We made a fast exit to catch the train at about 10 am and eventually arrived back at Chivenor at about 1am the next morning....yes the trains were still running although there was much disruption.
Are there any of you guys out there that were in the cross country team/basketball team of that time ?