PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.K. Military Crews Won't Be Part of SAR-H Deal
Old 20th Dec 2010, 08:31
chopabeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps all that has actually happenned is that somebody in a position to do so, has actually had the intestinal fortitude to halt this false process before it goes too far (albeit at quite a late stage). It cannot be reasonably argued that it is cheaper for the Government to privatise SAR than it is to simply write a cheque for 20 or so brand new SAR platforms, and give them to the military (and this Rolls-Royce option is probably not even required at this stage). Why bother setting up a SAR service of unknown and unproven ability when the best SAR service in the world already exists in the UK? I have no doubt that Soteria have convincing arguments to support their case - but forgive me here, they would...wouldn't they - facts can be skewed and goals 'realigned' to suit most purposes. Are Soteria being dishonest? I seriously doubt it, but they have an agenda and are looking for a profit (not much of a commercial concern if they aren't!) Saving Lives is not traditionally a get rich quick scheme in my book. The RAF/RN can continue to provide the current service, easily. Keep the 3A's, add in a few 412's (already operated in the COMR at DHFS and 84 Sqn), in the short term, and upgrade in the future. Keep it military and it will cost less, retain a pool of expert pilots in the MOD, allow the Gov't to tell the public that safety is not a cost issue and that is why they have decided to retain the best SAR service in the world. If Soteria get the contract, then as a new company, they are going to have to immediately enter the market as the very best SAR service in the entire world, just to be the equal of the service they are replacing. And they will still be far more expensive.