PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2010, 03:51
Desert Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concorde and SR-71

I didn't read all 45 pages only the first 30 and the last page so my question about how much thrust was acquired from the front of the engine because of the pressure differential may have been answered. Also the question may not pertain to the Concorde like it was to the SR-71, but a large quantity of the SR-71 thrust was acquired at the front of the varible nose cone because of the huge pressure differential of the engine. This issue was relayed to me by a Lockheed test pilot who tested both the A-12 and SR-71.This test pilot also said the limiting speed factor of the SR-71 was the wing leading edge temperature of 734 degrees which was 3.2 mach although the plane could go faster. Above FL600 there is no wind so the flight times were always the same either way for the SR-71 and I assume that was true for the Concorde although the SR-71 normally flew at FL800+ except when they came down for a quick drink from a tanker.I really appreciate the ex Concorde drivers and engineers sharing their experiences and time. It should be interesting reading by our great-grandchildren in 100 years.