PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass Cockpit introduction in type ratings.
Old 20th Dec 2010, 02:23
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the simulator instructor point of view,the question arises of how to best introduce glass cockpit flying with all its bells, whistles and automatics and not forgetting the seductive and ever so compelling flight director. Fly the bloody flight director, is an oft-heard mantra in the simulator.
I don't think such a TR is particuarly difficult for any competant pilot, regardless of experienc, but I would have thought a session of general handling in the FFS would work wonders.

With regards to automation, we spent an excellent day behind a PC on the Aerosim FMC trainer.

With regards to the pace of the aircraft, sure you need to get used to a lot of new stuff and pull it altogether but this ability is quickly learned during the fixed base sessions.

Adding together the CBT, Aerosim PCATD and fixed base procedure trainer, the student shouldn't need much more than basic general handling the FFS.

As someone who started his TR, minimal hours and no glass experience at all, neither the pace, nor automation presented a particular challenge and I don't think trainers should be afraid getting stuck into the meat of the FFS training with well prepped students regardless of experience.

The amount of information one had to digest was another matter.