PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pedal/collective to slow the rotors
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 23:21
helisphere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it prudent to add that any pilot using these techniques should consider the type of rotor system on the particular aircraft they are flying. For example a standard semi-rigid rotor like most of the Bells aren't going to give you any problem with a collective raise until the rpm gets fairly low and there is the possibility of hitting the teeter stops too hard but, as another already pointed out, you can see that one coming and once the rotor is slowed way down you don't gain much braking from collective anyway.

Though I have never personally seen or heard of damage from this I would think one should be a little more careful in a Robinson or most articulated rotor systems simply because these aircraft have droop stops that actually support the weight of the blade when there is no lift or CF, unlike a true semi-rigid rotor. And these droop stops are very short coupled to a very long blade with lots of leverage. So the blade is capable of generating fairly high forces on these droop stops if allowed to jump up and pound the stops. But again, this can be seen relatively easy by the pilot and avoided.