PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus prepares safety warnings following A321 incident
Old 19th Dec 2010, 18:56
goldfish85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safetyconcerns wrote

It is shocking how many posters claiming to be pilots do not understand FE protections.

I think that's true for pilots who have not been trained on envelope protection. I know I was until my training. I also think Airbus did not go a very good job of training in the first few years of A-320 (Habsheim, Bangalore). I had a one-hour sim exposure to the A-320 in the mid '90s. The sim instructor over-emphasized using the protections. At one point he had me select landing configuration at about 300 knots, pointing out that I no longer had to worry about limit airspeeds -- the airplane would lower the gear and flaps when the speed was right.

In the mid 2000's, I went through Airbus training at MIA. The first sim session was flown in Direct Law -- See it's an airplane. I think they realized they had made the wrong impression in the early 90's.

Envelope protection had saved many airplanes. An FAA review of upsets shows this clearly. (Lambregts, AIAA Paper 2008-6897)

Goldfish