PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerocaribbean ATR crash in Cuba
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 18:39
ECAM_Actions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Investigators found that "extreme weather conditions" led to a "severe" build up of ice on the plane that, "combined with errors by the crew in the handling of the situation, caused the accident," the Civil Aeronautics Institute said in a statement.
How do you handle severe icing except to turn tail and run/descend into warmer air?

It said the plane, an ATR 72-212 twin turboprop, built by ATR, a joint venture of Europe's EADS <EAD.PA> and Italian group Finmeccanica <SIFI.MI>, had been in good condition and functioned properly before plummeting to the ground in central Cuba.
Aren't they all?

On that day, Cuba had the unusual condition of a cold front sweeping down from the north while a small hurricane brushed along the island's eastern tip.
The combination of cold air and very high humidity from the storm created conditions conducive for icing unusual on the tropical island, airplane experts told Reuters.
Freezing water?

Most planes flying that day remained at lower altitudes to avoid icing, they said.
Define "low"?

The institute said the Aero Caribbean plane flew at 20,000 feet (6,036 metres) after taking off from the eastern city of Santiago en route to Havana on the northwest coast.
Wouldn't this put them right in the middle of the problem?

The engine looks feathered to me. Severe icing blocking the air intake necessitating/forcing a shutdown? I'd find it highly unlikely the prop feathered after the crash. Also it isn't bent, suggesting it wasn't powered at impact (you'd expect to see bent blades if it was).

I don't think they stood a chance, regardless of pilot actions. Do Cuba have a history of always finding fault with the pilot?

ECAM Actions.