PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 17:48
CliveL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concorde was unique in having take off performance scheduled for a 'point'CG. Before that all aircraft had FM performance based on the most adverse CG in the certificated range - normally the forward limit. I well remember lying on the grass on the airfield at Madrid waiting for Concorde to get back from a 'hot and low performance' test flight and chatting to the CAA surveyor responsible for that aspect of the certification and speculating on whether we could cash in on the ability to control the CG accurately.

After about half an hour we came to the conclusion that provided we put certain checks in place, and still retaining the 'classic' performance in the Flight Manual, we could insert a special TO technique using a single point CG which would give, from memory, about 1.5 tonnes more TO weight - something not to be sneezed at when your payload fraction is as low as Concorde. Needless to say this 'special' soon became the norm. I doubt if we could get agreement on such a topic in that timescale today!

I noted in another post that memory was blurring after seven years from active flying. I am writing about events thirty or even forty years ago, but I still have my notes.