PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Standbys
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 16:35
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
d105, I'm not hiding behind phrases I am pointing out, in the interest of clarity, that what some posters here think I have said isn't what I actually said, or implied.

themerve, you can't go around putting words into other peoples' mouths. The word I used was earned, the word you used was deserve. There is a difference. Of course if somebody is holding a position they obviously deserve to be there, it's how they got there, in this instance, that is in question.

No I have never seen the Ryanair entry requirements, are they the same for all the other airlines you've mentioned? Still, you miss my point, I am not anti Ryanair, or it's employees, or low hour pilots as I fly with them every day. I am anti paying for a job.

Yes you paid for training. Training that the airline required you to complete. Without such training you would not have a job. So, you can sugar coat it as much as you like but you still paid to get a job. Why else would you have given an airline thirty odd grand? Out of the goodness of your heart?

They have earned all they shall receive
Exactly, they have earned nothing, they bought their position, and now they are receiving nothing - or very little, as you appear to be getting a good few standbys. You're on standby whilst the new, cheaper version of you is getting some time in, when they get expensive they will be getting more standbys while the new, cheaper version of them is getting sometime in. Remember, minimum hours was not stated in your contract was it. I actually have some sympathy for you as you expected your thirty odd grand to be an investment and sadly it has turned out to be an expensive way of sitting around while other people go flying.

It appears that you have difficulty in comprehending the Ryanair business. For example, in extremis, Ryanair could employ a million pilots and fly only one aeroplane. It doesn't matter to them as they only pay you when you fly. Otherwise there is no cost to the airline when there is no need for you to fly.

Finally, my posts on this thread are mostly as an answer to a question or a statement of fact or my opinion. They are not considered advice.