PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Concorde crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 14:54
bearfoil

wings folded

Hello. I can appreciate your concern with the word, "Blame". So it may be just a parochial exercise, this thread. My understanding of the word carries some unfortunate connotations, unsuitable for the Industry.

Blame, as generally utilized in our culture, means a 'focused' responsibility, such that an issue can be 'put to rest'. It unfortunately creates a mind set in the culture that suggests "finis". Similar to another word I detest, "Closure", it shuts down what can and should flow from a common recognition of evidence, cause, and 'rehabilitation'. Rehabilitation, in the sense of "corrective" measures is important to aviation.

So it may seem to some that a 'criminal' trial creates the aura of finality. If such is the case, perhaps mitigation of cause is left behind. Progress is left at the Courthouse steps, if you will. A civil proceeding is expected to focus on 'blame'; in this case the venue seeks to "make whole". This is about money, of course, a cause that can distract logic and reason in favor of a "Payday".

Here, there is no "running" of statutes re: Death, and Fraud. These "run" in perpetuity. To each his own, of course, and the hope remains that safety will always improve.

regards

bear