PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas appoints new 'Head of Safety'
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 09:31
73to91

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Qantas appoints new 'Head of Safety'

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM GROUP EXECUTIVE QANTAS AIRLINES OPERATIONS

In September, Rob Kella announced significant changes to the Risk and Assurance function, including the Qantas Airlines AOC transfer from Alan Joyce to me. As a result the Qantas Airlines safety division of Group Safety was separated to create a dedicated Qantas Airlines safety department. These changes led to the need to appoint a Head of Safety, Qantas Airlines.

After an extensive internal and external search process I am delighted to announce that Susan D’Ath Weston was the stand out candidate and has now been appointed to this very important role. As many of you are aware, Susan has been acting in the role since September. She has been a crucial member of the team providing safety oversight for the return to service of the A380 fleet and has also been of huge support to me personally during this busy time.

Susan comes to the role with more than 30 years' involvement in the aviation industry, which includes experience as an airline pilot, corporate jet charter pilot and holding the Chief Pilot delegation for helicopter operations. In addition, Susan has also held various management roles including Executive Director of an International Airshow, manager of an in-flight catering company as well as hands on experience in airline operations control.

Please join with me in welcoming Susan to the role and to the Operations team.

Lyell Strambi
Anyone aware of who the lady previously worked for?

Not meaning to be offensive but:
Chief Pilot delegation for helicopter operations
would the size equate to the size of QANTAS? even though she isn't Chief Pilot at QANTAS.
Executive Director of an International Airshow
is that important?
manager of an in-flight catering company
so?

Have management just given someone else the flick within the department? Whilst plenty of 'experience' the lady would not appear to be a career 'safety' person.