PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA cancels all flights at LHR until 1700 but others operating
Old 19th Dec 2010, 07:05
Bus429

Pilots' Pal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that a lot of LHR's woes have to do with a lack of investment in snow clearing equipment - 'the world's warming up, right?' - and other necessary infrastructure. Apparently LGW have more ploughs than LHR. BAA seem more concerned with having a shopping mall with aircraft parked outside. Until their mindset changes, or the government shows some balls to kick some , BAA will tough it out. I reckon they couldn't give a toss about the UK's reputation; retail rules.
I've been stuck at airports in the US and Europe because of snow but the delays were measured in hours rather than days and the affected airports seemed to have the equipment - and the will - to get things moving. The UK makes merit out of muddling through and 'succeeding when our backs are to the wall'. There is no merit in this whatsoever; invariably the muddle is just that and despite 'lessons-learned' (what a hackneyed expression), nobody appears to have learned any lessons.