PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alouette
Thread: Alouette
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2010, 23:04
Rotorgoat8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for finding Alouette threads and tying me in. I was a tech on the 318C in Alaska during the Pipeline construction in the mid 70's and we operated two of them. Reliability was unbelievable -- all we did was daily grease and oil T/R shaft bearings and polish the plexy, aside from the normal 25 & 100 hour inspections. Had a couple of start issues but "manually" tweaked the thermal switch on the start card until we could get a replacement card. The only "failure" I remember was one T/R pc link broke but the pilot did a run-on with no problems other than replacing the skid shoes. What was really nice in that country was the big fuel tank. We hauled many a Jet Ranger tech into the Bush to fix their machines but never had to ask the favor in return. That's probably part of the reason the FAA with a little nudging from Bell wants them off the Standard CoA. Bell didn't like them back then either (when Vought was the distributer). Anyway it's been 35 years and I could use a refresher on rotor engagement technique for those of you that have it a little fresher in your minds--see previous posts.