PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Captain sits on the Left?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2010, 21:27
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the left…

Slight thread drift, but this reminds me of a curious story from the mil flight safety mag whilst serving in FARELF. The story came from the US (I am not sure which service) in ‘Nam. A pilot was killed in a crash. The investigation found that he had been in a sustained left hand turn when he met the ground. He had had similar (but not fatal) prangs before and an in-depth investigation showed an extraordinary sequence of events. He was very lanky and he found it difficult to fit into the cockpit. When he had the chance, which occurred when flying a dual aircraft as single crew, he would transfer his right foot to the other set of controls. Unfortunately, on this flight (and obviously on previous ones) his right foot connected with the left pedal on the right hand set of controls. QED.
We used to fly our small military aircraft on to carriers during the Borneo do and I cannot remember there being any preference for either left or right hand circuits. By the time one arrived on finals, there was nothing to see anyway, just the knowledge that (hopefully) right underneath as one let down at 500 fpm, was a tin landing strip. But wonderful to find out about Port and Starboard – after all these years!