PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has LHR lost its atmosphere?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2010, 17:35
Peter47

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that flying has lost its glamour. Half a century ago there would be thousands in the viewing area. You couldn't turn on the TV without seeing shots of aircraft and the glitterati (is that how you spell it?). Flying is certainly less glamorous these days but conversely far more democratic - you now don't need to be that well off to embark on a long haul holiday or take a weekend break to Amsterdam without thinking about it. Working for an airline is certainly not what it once was. The only time you travel in a suit these days if you are on a one day business trip.

Actually I still think that long haul travel still has a certain aura and the product is still pretty good (you get fed and watered, IFE is better than it has ever been and you may even be looked after if something goes wrong). The low fare carriers (particularly a certainly Irish one) and their "nickel and diming" leave me cold. The commoditisation of air travel is a shame - pasengers expectations have dropped. Then again as one economist said, the whole point of Ryanair is to force the legacy carriers to lower their fares - you don't actually have to use it.

With all the new airlines Heathrow still has a certain buzz about it. However Gatwick has lost much of its magic and Stansted & Luton leaves me cold.