PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Schneider Trophy Pilots
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2010, 16:37
Lou Scannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take my grandson to the Velodrome at Calshot Spit for his cycle racing and would recommend the area to anyone interested in Aviation History and the Schneider Trophy in particular.

The RAF last operated Sunderlands there in 1960 but the huge hangar remains with the Velodrome, climbing walls and ski slope now filling the space that several Sunderlands on heavy maintenance used to occupy.

Though still called the Sunderland Hangar it dates from the First World War so must have contained many remarkable machines in it's day.

The Sopwith Hangar and Schneider hangars are still there with all the huge aprons, slipways and old RAF buildings such as the airmens' and sergeants' accomodations.

The Officers' Mess, once connected to the hangars by a narrow track railway had been turned into the local pub. Sadly, when I went to look for it close by the Church and the old Married Quaters, it had been burnt to the ground.

I seem to recall that there is at least one Supermarine wreck out in the water somewhere. Flying Officer Waghorn's headstone used to grace the garden of the RAF Officers' Mess at RAE Farnborough having been moved from a derelict graveyard in the area.

If you care to walk inside the "Sunderland" hangar (where there is a decent snack bar/restaurant) you will find several rooms named after the Trophy pilots and lots of photos to commemorate them. Do visit the Gents toilets for the finest view imaginable of the Solent!

Amongst the photographs there are some of an RAF airman by the name of Shaw who did many of the trials for the early air sea rescue launches when based there. He of course having earlier dropped the rank of Lt.Col. and the name of Lawrence for personal reasons.

I would just warn you that you may experience the same spooky feelings that I do when in the hangar. I keep hearing the sounds of spanners being dropped from great heights and the shouts of long dead groundcrews echoing around the cavernous space!