PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ils landing lights
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2010, 14:59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of landing lights below 10 is in the AIM, and thus not regulatory:

But my annoyance is the use of nav lights during the day. In the US, you are required to use position lights at night, but most commercial operators use them anytime the aircraft is operating (some version).

I am sorry, but you cannot see the nav lights more than 50 feet away and is a waste. Yes, I understand about the ground crew alerting, but that's what beacons are for. . .

QUOTE:

c. The FAA has a voluntary pilot safety program, Operation Lights On, to enhance the see-and-avoid concept. Pilots are encouraged to turn on their landing lights during takeoff; i.e., either after takeoff clearance has been received or when beginning takeoff roll. Pilots are further encouraged to turn on their landing lights when operating below 10,000 feet, day or night, especially when operating within 10 miles of any airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility and in areas where flocks of birds may be expected, i.e., coastal areas, lake areas, around refuse dumps, etc. Although turning on aircraft lights does enhance the see-and-avoid concept, pilots should not become complacent about keeping a sharp lookout for other aircraft. Not all aircraft are equipped with lights and some pilots may not have their lights turned on. Aircraft manufacturer's recommendations for operation of landing lights and electrical systems should be observed.