PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates incident EK650 16.12.10: Engine failure?
Old 18th Dec 2010, 11:13
ImPlaneCrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although the experience may have seemed to be extremely frightening for yourselves and your family as well as the numerous amounts of other passengers that were also on-board your flight, bird strikes are actually pretty common within the aviation industry. Therefore, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that there would be any type of 'Crisis Manager' present and I would even be suprised to see any sort of manager present unless they were Supervising EK ground staff within the terminal. The reason that refreshments were offered was due to the delay that you suffered and nothing to do with the trauma of the incident.

Although someone should have made themselves available to you to answer questions within those first 30 minutes, it is unlikely they would have had any idea what was going on anyway. There are a number of factors that needed to be considered; length of delay (attained through engineers assessment if maintenance to be carried out), availability of replacement aircraft etc. Until these factors are known EK cannot make a judgement on what compensation to issue, for example in your case the original flight departed 5 hours later in which compensation to the amount of light refreshments was provided and is acceptable. However, if there was to be a 24 hour delay then obviously hotel accomodation would need to be sourced and issued. Within the first 30 minutes it is highly unlikely that all of this information could have been attained and an assessment made. I would say that you were lucky to be offered a paid for hotel anyway, as the original flight was not delayed substantially and operated out 5 hours late...

I completely understand from a passenger perspective how an incident such as this can be seen as a 'near-crash' however aircraft are designed for incidents such as this and the crew will also have been trained for events such as this; and the aircraft returned safely to DXB.