PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2010, 09:14
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick Thomas
Dude I agree with you about the sight of Concorde taking of on 31L at JFK. Unfortunatly I have only seen it on the ITTV DVD but I would think that seeing it live must have been amazing.
It really was totally amazing Nick, both when viewed from the ground and ESPECIALLY from the 'jump seat'. (We are talking pre-9/11 here of course). The problem was, the likes of my friend EXWOK made it look far too easy at first sight, but when you looked at the event more closely you realised that it was really a combination of a superbly manoeuvrable aeroplane and some superb, highly co-ordinated and disciplined flying by the three guys up front. (After experiencing my very first '31L' in the early 90s, after the turns and throttling were complete I remember saying to the captain 'can we do that again Chris, CAN we? ).
It used to be quite interesting at JFK, comparing the take-offs of Concorde and the 'blunties', as EXWOK affectionately refers to the subsonics. You always asked yourself 'if Concorde can do that why can't the rest? But again, as EXWOK said, 'it's just not the same'.

Best Regards
Dude