PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to bin the Red Arrows
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2010, 11:47
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beagle, Sir, it's rare that I find cause to disagree with you but the point I am trying to put across is far from defeatist. On the contrary, it is a counter attack by other means to the current political assault on the Air Force. In spirit, I agree with you and Winco to name but 2. I do find, though, that the financial argument of cazatou does qualify as "defeatist". My argument is not financial.

The Reds are the finest the World has and the benefit in Service morale, public awareness, national pride and promotion of British industrial capability is out of all proportion to the tiny element of the Defence Budget absorbed. So tiny that a MoD beancounter would identify it as "noise". Leaving aside how disbandment would affect the "great unwashed", it is the effect it would have on the parasites that infest Westminster and Whitehall. They would probably have to admit that they have reduced the 3 independent Services to the level of a "self defence" force.

Imagine the President of Bongoland asking His Excellency the British Ambassador "what's happened to the Red Arrows"? His Excellency then asking the FCO Sec who in turn asks the Def Sec to be told; "our Forces are now so pared to the bone we have no capacity to field a team to an acceptable standard". How would the Def Sec, FCO Sec and the PM like that? Answers on a Navy Form S118B please. Yes, it would be peevish but it seems that is the only language such people understand. Talk to them of Capability and Skill Fade and watch the glazed expression.

The Red Arrows are an impeccable and professional display in the British Armed Forces' (it's only a matter of time; BAF) shop window. The genuine worry is that the shop shelves behind are all but bare; and, yes, the cost of the window display would buy sod all stock.

Now, does the Arrows and any war canoe called ARK ROYAL give the workers and Benefit scroungers of UK PLC the fortitude and spirit to pull their weight and work us out of Poo Creek? That is a whole new argument.