PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus prepares safety warnings following A321 incident
Old 17th Dec 2010, 10:12
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Impressive PBL,

Sorry to doubt your good word, but we get instant experts coming out the ears around here as I'm sure you can appreciate.

Although I was not asking for your identity, it appears your group is comprised of Ph.D's and has experience in accident investigation. I picked up a Computer Studies A.S. degree and studied for a time at an Aviation University and took courses in Aviation Safety and Accident Investigation so this sort of thing interests me. I later assisted in the preliminary investigations of a couple of accidents in our pilot union and my flight safety report (flameout in a typhoon) was used in the clearing of one crew of blame for an overrun accident. I'm not familiar with the language standard you maintain, but it sounds very interesting.

I suspect I could comprehend some of the FADEC architecture if I had access to it; but I'm sure it's proprietary. (not the physical code, but flowcharts would be interesting.) It would be interesting to know how the sw handles all fuel temp probes iced up. On AF447 it was clear to us on that thread that no one considered the possibility of all three airspeed probes and all static probes icing up at the same time. Rather than exercising a flight with unreliable airspeed strategy: N1 and deck angle, which pilots of most jets would employ, the software apparently biased out most of the backup systems according to the ACARS transmissions. In other words, the autopilot and auto throttle were incapable of operating with no pitot static system and abruptly dropped out throwing it all in the lap of the pilot on a dark and stormy night with partial panel.

This seems like a serious software design oversight imho, at least from a pilot's perspective. Arguments that it was approved and certified by experts really mean little if you are a student of Aviation history as I am. All designs eventually crash with any appreciable time in service.

If you ask me, adding more and more complexity to this automation monster we have created and keeping everything in extreme secrecy is what really does the industry a disservice imho.

KISS baby, KISS! (keep it sim...)

And I think it's best to realize that this is after all, a pilot's rumour network, not a tabloid for the public to read. Right?

Best Regards,

CC

Last edited by Captain-Crunch; 17th Dec 2010 at 10:24.