PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Concorde crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2010, 08:20
mike-wsm

Originally Posted by Iron Duck
Britannia 310 (close to your heart, surely?) 1,330lb/seat: commercial failure
Ah, cut to the quick, yes sir, very much so, an elegant and beautiful aeroplane, the very best ever to be produced at the Filton Rest Home for Tired Engineers.

Alas it was those silly folded Proteus engines that delayed its introduction into service when the flight test team had to traipse around the world looking for weather conditions that would freeze up that daft U-band, inherited from trying to bury the engine ahead of the main spar within the wings of the Brabazon and Princess.

Apologies to all for the thread drift, but it's all part of the Filton story. It fascinates me to look back on our past 'successes' and to see what white elephants they were in real terms when compared with those very few real success stories, where aircraft are produced in greater than 1000-off quantities. One of the key elements is humility, the ability to accept reality and adapt to it. The British national character is one of arrogance and an arrogant political system driving arrogant company management will never yield commercial success.

Footnote re my comment on weight per seat - of course there are many boxes to tick before an aircraft can become a success. My point is that excess weight is a surefire commercial killer. If you are double the weight per seat you use double the fuel per seat and carry a huge economic penalty. Even when fuel is cheap you have to appreciate your product is over-sensitive to any increase in fuel price. Sensitivity analysis is key to all engineering and economic calculations.

For M2 Dude - yes, 829, just a prawn.

I'll have to sign off here and avoid the lynch mob, many thanks for your kindness and hospitality to this armchair onlooker.