PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus prepares safety warnings following A321 incident
Old 17th Dec 2010, 04:15
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Ex-spurt"

PBL,
Well, even though I don't think it's a conspiracy, I noticed that most people who go around calling themselves "experts" are anything but that. Witness the so-called "Aviation Experts" touted in the popular press who frequently cannot answer basic questions about the accident aircraft. For instance, "expert", it sounds like you're not even sure which programing language is used on the trent FADEC system. Since you provided no links or quotes at all to back up your assersion that the investigative process is infallible, it appears to me you may making nothing but an:

Argument from authority (also known as appeal to authority) is a fallacy of defective induction, where it is argued that a statement is correct because the statement is made by a person or source that is commonly regarded as authoritative. The most general structure of this argument is:
  1. Source A says that p is true.
  2. Source A is authoritative.
  3. Therefore, p is true.
This is a fallacy because the truth or falsity of a claim is not related to the authority of the claimant, and because the premises can be true, and the conclusion false (an authoritative claim can turn out to be false). It is also known as argumentum ad verecundiam (Latin: argument to respect) or ipse dixit (Latin: he himself said it).
On the other hand, arguments from authority are an important part of informal logic. Since we cannot have expert knowledge of many subjects, we often rely on the judgments of those who do. There is no fallacy involved in simply arguing that the assertion made by an authority is true. The fallacy only arises when it is claimed or implied that the authority is infallible in principle and can hence be exempted from criticism.
PBL, please state your background that qualifies you as an expert on the trent FADEC system, and if not that, exactly what kind of expert are you claiming to be? It has nothing to do with conspiracies. Accident investigations are inherently political by their very nature. Ambitious human beings write the reports. You made a claim that we should just trust authority that the FADEC did it's job, and to give your claim credibility I need to know how many years working on aerospace software you have.

That's a fair question isn't it?

CC

Last edited by Captain-Crunch; 17th Dec 2010 at 04:47.