PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOM approach procedures
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2010, 01:14
Agent153Orange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOM approach procedures

Hello everyone, I'm a novelist who writes action-adventure books about aviation (well, actually, putting my first book through the final round of editing before publication while at the same time doing research for the sequel). In this book, there is a scene where my heroine has to make an LOM approach to a small tundra airstrip in a strong gusty crosswind in barely adequate visibility (ceiling 500, visibility 1 mile in a pouring rain) while critically bingo-fuel (only 10 min. reserves at moment of touchdown). My question is: what are the proper procedures for lining up on an LOM approach? I've tried to look at different approach plates, but they have three different types of procedure: the one for Pueblo (and several other airports) says to cross the LOM, fly outbound, make a barb-type procedure turn and fly inbound on runway heading; the one for Oostende says to cross the LOM outbound, make a teardrop at the LOM and then fly inbound; and the one for Smolensk says to cross the LOM inbound, fly a timed upwind leg, turn crosswind when past the departure end, turn downwind when the LOM is at 8 o'clock, turn base and start descent when the LOM is at 7:30, then turn final to runway heading when the LOM is at 9 o'clock and maintain MDA until crossing the LOM inbound. (The chart for Berlin Tempelhof is similar, except that the LOM is off the departure end instead of the approach end, and you cross it going crosswind and fly a timed crosswind leg.) Which of these 3 1/2 procedures is the right one? Or are all of these acceptable? For the blind landing scene, I used the Smolensk procedure flying into Coral Harbour runway 34 from the southeast; is that right, or do I have to change the procedure? Thanks in advance!