PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass cockpit/FADEC training AIC
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 20:23
tmmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass cockpit/FADEC training AIC

Sorry if everyone else read this in September but I've only just, in a slack moment, caught up with the recent AICs.

The AIC on differences training for glass cockpit/FADEC aircraft seems to me to make a lot of sense - in parts. (See http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/cu...0_P_070_en.pdf). But there is one thing I don't understand: if you've trained ab initio on steam dials and/or separate engine controls, you are required to undertake difference training before being let loose on glass cockpit/FADEC modern machines. Fair enough - perhaps unnecessary to legislate on it, but it seem sensible.

But the AIC states that if you have been trained on glass cockpit/FADEC and move to the old steam dials/separate controls you are 'advised' to undertake difference training - not mandatory.

Is it me, or is that barmy? Surely it would be even worse that way round? Imagine an IMCR holder trying to fly an approach using old analogue instruments - surely that's the dangerous situation they should legislate to avoid?

Tim