PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single man operations in ATC
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 18:55
The Euronator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kontrolor

As BrATCO states

yes and no : STCA stops either when the conflict is over OR when the machine decides it's too late anyway. That means when the distance between conflicting traffics is already below the minima.
Having worked in a centre that does the above, it is a dangerous precedent to start trying to separate when there is potential that the TCAS is already going off in the cockpit. I currently work in a completely different centre which gives at least a 2 min warning and is based on radar derived information with at least 9 filters to give the most accurate assessment. This gives the controllers (2) more than enough time to react to alleviate the potential conflict.

BrATCO

I usually don't trust much the STCA to save my day... not to mention TCAS-RA which is nothing more than an airbag : last and only remaining slice of cheese.
I totally agree with your philosophy but the STCA can be an extremely useful extra safety buffer for an ATCO if it is developed to rectify the situation/oversight rather than a reporting device. More tools to help an ATCO especially when operating on a single sector, can only enhance safety. Its better than only 1 set of eyes.

I trust my ability, experience and training to rectify conflicts but it is nice to know that I have a system that will give me the ability to change my actions with plenty of notice. We are, as we all know,fallible and no-one is on their game 24/7 365 days a year and if people think they are, then they are in the wrong job (not aimed at BrATCO just a generalisation )