PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats your shortest flight ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 18:55
Monty77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toppers to Linton

NoD. I accept your challenge. Unfortunately I cannot remember the time but definitely sub 3 minutes.

The wind had to be right for favourable runways, and the last thing you needed was a mate at 5 miles on a TAC to ILS cleared to land.
Best time to attempt was 1650L on a Friday to avoid interference.

That said, my shortest trip was an attempted landing on the Northerly runway at Leeming. I was in the back of a Tucano attempting to demonstrate to Navy stude in the front crosswind landing techniques. Stude's name was, let's say Zippy (because that's what his name was). Anyhoo, Leeming. Well designed with a massive North/South runway and a prevailing S/W wind. In we come with a stonking Westerly. 'I have control',

'Observe as I kick her straight and dip the left wing to stay on the centreline. Oh sweet Jesus! Cr"p!.

Now. Decision streams. A jet engine takes a while to spool up or down. Some are better than others. A turbo-prop will provide instant thrust or not. If you are over the threshold, make your mind up. I didn't. Airborne? Nope? Landing? You signed for it!

So as I thrashed the throttle back and forth it was everyone's guess as to whether it was going to be a crash or a landing, I elected to close the throttle. Luckily, it came up red, but I felt like a kangaroo and used 6000 feet.

As we taxied back in I pleaded with young Navy shaver not to 'fess to the crewroom. To his eternal credit, he kept his gob shut.

So I claim the shortest flight. 0.2 seconds was the shortest, er, bounce. You can still see the marks on the runway. Check that, flying suit.

Bye!