PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criteria for an environmentally friendly airline
Old 16th Dec 2010, 17:40
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paparomeodelta
Easy now, ChristiaanJ. I am not lobbying about global warming, and I have never even mentioned LED lights, those are of course insignificant.
OK... it's just that I see red the moment I see "emissions" and "carbon" (leave alone "carbon footprint").

I am talking about that the industry is under attack, and we have to do something to show that we are taking the public opinion seriously.
Quite...
In my opinion, it's high time the industry got its finger out, not by pandering to the "public opinion" any longer, which has been manipulated by the greenies and the warmers for far to long, but by being "pro-active" and pointing out their contribution to the global economy, their negligeable contribution to "global" pollution, or their continuous efforts to become more efficient (if only just to survive, against efforts to tax them out of existence).

The project I am working on, together with one of the worlds most prestigious universities, has EU support and is aiming towards finding criterias on how airlines can benchmark themselves, in a friendly competition leading to a better environment in regard to emission, noise etc.
Sadly, it sounds like one more of those "projects" that are devised to qualify for a lot of grant money, without any base in reality.
Compared to agriculture, fishing, road and maritime transport, deforestation, depletion of water resources, etc. etc..... aviation only has a totally negligeable impact on the environment.
The sooner the aviation industry "strikes back" the better.

So I am politely asking for input to find five or ten criterias as headlines for this benchmark.
Agreed, so after setting out my viewpoint, I now owe you a polite answer, too.
Let me 'brood' a few hours....
Some essential criteria will be useful, not only for 'friendly competition' (was there ever such a thing?), but also to assess what really does need to be done for aviation to take back its rightful place in the reality of things...

CJ