PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal Conviction A Problem?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2001, 20:16
Davaar
I'll mak siccar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doughyboy,I don't know what you should do, because facts are always different. Years ago, though, I heard of an MP here who asked for the Speaker's permission to say a few words to the House.

He told the members that he had just received a letter, and he proposed to read it. The sender had discovered that the MP had a criminal record and he intended to expose him unless he paid blackmail.

I have to tell the House, said the MP, that the allegation is completely true. X years ago, when I was Y years old, I unsuccessfully attempted armed robbery. I was caught, tried, convicted, and imprisoned. In jail I thought a lot about what I had done, and resolved never to do anything like it again.

On release I was able to find a modest job. I became interested in politics. I joined a party and was active in constituency work. I ran for nomination and was selected. I ran for election and was elected. Since my election I have done my work in the Commons as well and as hard as I can. Not since that conviction years ago have I had the slightest brush with the law. There is no need for the letter writer to expose me. I am telling you myself.

That is not a quotation, but the gist. He sat down to an ovation. New business?

I would not run around volunteering information on whatever happened long ago, but this anecdote would guide me if I were asked. There is no guarantee that the reaction would always be so positive, but that is life, and it brings many unsought difficulties of many kinds. If when asked you do not deny it, no one can add a new deception to a long-dead crime.

Good luck.