PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Last Flight (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 16:08
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Gone ... but not for everybody

For whatever reasons, the RAF's Harriers have said their official farewells - but, if it's any consolation, I believe that they're still operational with the air arms of Spain and Italy, not to mention the US Marines, without whose energetic efforts and effective politicking Hawkers would never have been enabled to get it beyond the prototype stage.
I remember many years ago a Wing Commander in 2ATAF commenting that the trouble with operating such an aircraft away from runways was that getting fuel and ammo supplies to dispersed fields and "tennis courts" made it a completely impractical idea.
By that time (early 60s, I guess) RAF Germany seemed to have lost any idea of mobility which 2nd TAF had inherited from the Desert Air Force, up through Tunisia and on through Italy. The whole idea of Tactical used to be BE MOBILE - but once that huge set of buildings at Mônchen Gladbach had been built, "staying put" set in* - and VSTOL operation seemed to be thought of as "inconvenient".

*Except perhaps a mad dash to the nearest coast to catch whatever ship would take them back to UK if the Soviet Hordes started to roll ...