PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-Aircrew - PAX Flights in Military Aircraft
Old 16th Dec 2010, 12:44
Q-RTF-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's yours ?
Didn't keep a record of hours but pestered/scrounged or was detailed for flights in the following types

Anson
Chipmunk
Meteor T7
Varsity
Hastings
Vulcan B Mk1
Pembroke
Britannia
Beverly
Argosy
Hercules
VC10
Canberra T4
Lightning T4

Most Fun (1) : Canberra T4 acting as intruder (piloted by a grizzled Squadron Leader with at least a zillion hours beneath his belt) to be intercepted by 2 x Lightning aircraft. Extreme evasive maneuvers, VERY close pass by one of the interceptors (the Canberra rocked like hell while grizzled pilot chuckled).

Most Fun (2) : Beverly Masirah/Salalah. I was the only Pax, aircraft operated low level along the coast all the way, spent a lot of time on the flight deck and also helped the ALM junk the empty lunch boxes and other trash out of the back door (in flight of course). I was amazed just how maneuverable the Bev was.

Most Fun (3) : Beverly Masirah/Bait al Falaj. Sat up front into Bait, IMHO a bigger kick than the chequerboard approach into Kai Tak (did that on a B747, but that would not count here anyhow). Tremendous seat of the pants flying !

Most Miserable Experience : Hercules Akrotiri/Luqa/Akrotiri. Was NCO i/c advance party for an intended two week Lightning detachment to Luqa. Departed around 04:00 local somewhat fragile after a rather extended kebab bash. Poor Wx en route made for bumpy uncomfortable ride. On arrival bussed to Air Movements to be told a Serious Defect Signal had caused the Lightning’s to be grounded - detachment canx - all to return to Akrotiri once Hercules refueled - no improvement in Wx for return trip - finally got home to Limassol to find house empty (wifey having dinner with friends). Certainly had better days.

Most Uncomfortable : Canberra T4 Valley/Luqa/Akrotiri - despite being an A.Fitt.W who serviced/installed the damn things I never realized just how wretchedly uncomfortable some of those Martin Baker seats could be.

Best Experience : Lightning T4 - Unbelievable experience of a lifetime, plus of course I was very lucky indeed to have such an opportunity; spare seats did not come very often.

I think I was fortunate to be around in the days when the Air Force had a reasonable number of aircraft and there was sufficient flexibility to squeeze in opportunities for ground staff to get up in aircraft they worked on. On some squadrons it was almost encouraged. I also found the crews on the transport fleet (especially the more tactical types) generally very accommodating in making a little time and space 'up front' and letting us see the other side of the coin.