PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.s. Continental Engine Co. Sold To Chinese Interests.
Old 16th Dec 2010, 12:43
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
God knows the Diesel in my Mercedes develos more horsepower and Torque than a TSIO 520 and it is only 3.2 litres.
So Joker 10 you're seriously trying to tell is that the 3.2 litre diesel in your car develops 195hp (65% power on an IO550) continuously?

And Wally you're really living up to your name.

Comparing a big bore lyc/conti to a car engine, ANY fcking car engine, is like comparing Joolia to Ell Macpherson. The have similar bits but thats it!

If you actually asked a car engine to develope the same PERCENTAGE HP as an IO550 will produce for a couple of 1000 hrs with no problems it would blow up in minutes.

Remind me again how many laps/races/part thereof an F1 V12 manages before blowing up? And its probably only developing 50% of its rated HP for most of a race...and that with every computer gadget the engineers can think up transmitting data back 100/second to a bank of highly paid and very skilled mechanics.

I am so bloody sick of pilots railing against aircraft engine technology and comparing to it car engines.

The Chinese will almost certainly finish TCM off in the light aircraft engine business.

in 5 years one of the boutique engine shops, maybe GAMI, will buy the certification for the IO550 back from the Chinese and start marketing a truly awesome version.

Turbo normalised, 350hp running on unleaded fuel.

Braly has a TNIO550 doing that in a Cirrus on his G100LL fuel RIGHT NOW.