PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines B777 Emergency Evacuation at LTBA
Old 16th Dec 2010, 12:12
Lonewolf_50

Received 460 Likes on 289 Posts
Had the Turkish pilots received better training in this regard they wouldn't be looking so stupid right now. I certainly wouldn't like to face my chief pilot for cold tea on a Monday had it been me.
Cold chai, more likely, but perhaps their company training and procedures is what they followed. Are there any THY, or formerly employed by THY, pilots here who can share some insights on that?
I don't know what you are flying Bergie, but in my 737 the cabin crew can't see what is going on in the cargo holds any more than I can. I can tell you for sure that I don't have to explain anything to my chief pilot when I follow Boeing and my companys procedures.
Don't know enough, so I'll ask some questions. As I understand it, there are smoke sensors in the cargo hold.

If there are, why would the CC not have a light/indicator at one of the CC stations?

Did Boeing consider such a provision and deem it an overly redundant design, or a too likely source of false positive indications?

I can see both sides of that on the design decision process ...

EDIT -- Based on a few inquires already, I am curious as to what the conventional wisdom is on what constitutes a secondary indication, other than the obvious presence of smoke in the passenger cabin ...

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 16th Dec 2010 at 12:34.