PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in South AFrica
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 10:31
jbayfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a shareholder in an SA flight school, I have to admit that most schools in SA are under pressure, mainly from an overly bureaucratic SACAA.

Our theory is cumbersome and, although very comprehensive, it is not presented or tested in a way that will offer the student the most benefit. I have no problem with the flight training requirements.

Additionally, the maintenance oversight section of the SACAA seems intent on creating as many obstacles and hurdles for GA and commercial operators without any regard for common sense or commercial viability. They grounded one of our twins a few months back because one screw was missing from the tailcone fairing. They require two qualified and type rated engineers to sign off every major maintenance function, but will not allow a small AMO to use the services of the second qualified engineer from another AMO that is not based at the same field.

Small and / or dodgy operators are allowed to continue training and even after being closed down they generally open again a few weeks later. They charge low prices, often below cost, and make their money by skimping on aircraft maintenance, administration positions and by other devious means such as charging students exorbitant financial penalties for leaving their schools when they want to cancel their training.

Then there is SARS who do not allow us VAT exemption on the training of individuals. All educational institutions in SA who are registered with the Dept of Education are VAT exempt, but ATO's are registered and licensed by the SACAA so we are not able to gain this exemption. Most schools outside SA are tax exempt.

Would I train in the USA if I had to start all over again. Yes and No. It depends on my end goal. Cost and efficiency are a big plus for training in the USA, but there is a definite stigma to having trained there when it comes to getting a job outside the USA. The FAA license is seen as an "easy out" by many doing the hiring in countries outside the USA. My only saving grace was my military flight experience in the US Army and that I had spent two years flying for an SA operator before my SAA interview.