PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to bin the Red Arrows
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 09:27
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we want to make some serious savings, then lets stop the wastage at Main Building on fancy chairs, original oil paintings, high quality TVs everywhere and God knows what else. At least most of the UK populus get the opportunity to see the Red Arrows, unlike main Building!!
What a ridiculous argument - it's almost childlike in its quality. it is basically saying 'other people waste money so why should I do something to save it?'!!!

Whilst I totally agree that there are savings to be made elsewhere, that does not mean that until they are made, the RAF (insert any agency in here) should overlook The Reds (again insert any 'surplus' item here).

As mentioned above HMY Britannia was binned as she was coming to the end of her life without a huge, expensive refit. Yet everyone harps on about the good PR that The Reds do, almost as if it justifies the cost. The UK is a sea-going nation first and foremost. We are an island that relies on the sea for the majority of its trade lines, yet we binned Britannia, something that was a symbol of our heritage as well as a great bit of PR and a projection of our will and ability to be a force on the seas.

The Reds are not indespensible!

The Navy will be announcing swinging cuts in personnel in the New Year, I've heard some of the figures being bandied about and it is frightening.

As much as I think The Reds are good at what they do, I'm afraid that in light of what is happpening across alll three Services, their position is untenable.