PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Line
Thread: Court Line
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 08:58
Capt.Pebbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt.Dryhurst

Hi Lynne,

Your Dad was a CAA instrument rating examiner at Stansted. I was a young Pilot starting out my career(aged 19) and the CAA Stansted was feared by all, especially a Capt.Belson. I arrived for my Instrument rating and your Dad was assigned as my examiner. He was very kind and helpful to me and passed me. I do remember the accident at Luton as I was also flying the HS125 that day. I never read the accident report but I heard that one engine was shutdown with the HP cock and some how the the LP cock of the other engine was shut. I believe they were doing crew training. In those days they actually shut down engines instead of selecting idle. They didnt use Simulators for the Hawker and I actually became a type rating examiner and by then we did not shut engines down. From my brief encounter with your Dad he seemed to be a very nice character. friendly and understanding. I am sure a great tragedy in your life and a terrible waste of a life. It was a long time ago but there for the grace of God go I.

Kind regards,

Steve Cherry-Downes.
(Still flying 46 years later)