PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please advise on OIL TEMPS
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 08:16
DERG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You

"B757 with RB211-535E4 engines. Cruise oil temps (off the EICAS) are rarely in three digits. They use a little bit of oil, but powerplant engineers monitor uplifts. If it gets excessive, shop visit time."

Thank you for this post. This is the info I am seeking.

What do I want to know? Some of us are wondering just WTF is going on with this T970 series and the "RR total care" contract. Just how is the oil top up recorded, YES how and where... and who looks at the record. Do you see the issue here? If the only people overseeing the engine are RR then clearly an operator has little control over the equipment used. Moreover the operator may be taking risks that are unacceprtable.

Turbine D thank you that helps.
Brian.. I have never used other screen names.
Bear..thank you..complex but constructive.
Lomapeso..oh yes..we know your classification well..you need a nanny on the shop floor in case you trip and fall. You are stardust, you are golden.

KBP If you have the inclination go get a litre of turbine oil and heat it up on a domestic cooker. If you can measure the temp at 150C. See what happens above 150C. There is no danger involved in this home experiment. But you may be surprised.

SteveF: I am damn sure the A388 of Lufthansa had this record, I am also sure that Singapore had it. But I am uncertain if Qantas had it. I am not saying Qantas was negligent in not having a hard copy paper record. What I am saying is that under the RR Total Care programme they may well have been led to believe they did not require one.

As I requested I would be grateful what the guys are seeing in daily use on their oil temp guages. The 180C running temp of the T972 as used in this A388 seems a lot higher than any other engine in civil aviation.

All replies welcome.