PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus prepares safety warnings following A321 incident
Old 16th Dec 2010, 06:14
Safety Concerns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's all get over it. A well-designed envelope protection scheme really works. It's saved airplanes. In the twenty some years of commercial FBW, I don't know of any caused by g-envelope protection.
Agree totally.

The fact is there may well be one scenario out there where no protections is desirable but even if there was the protections have already saved literally thousands of pilots backsides already.

Many of you also have selective memory. Military jets have been FBW since the 70's. It works. I remember one smart arse who claimed the protections prevented him from displaying his full dog fight skills and so prevented him from saving the world. Yes he switched them off (as can be done on any FBW aircraft) and promptly ejected after losing control in his next battle.

Hudson river hero successfully landed his stricken A320 on a river. What more evidence do you non believers need to confirm that the design is sound.

And I quote the NTSB, page 88 by the way:

The NTSB concludes that, despite being unable to complete the Engine Dual Failure checklist, the captain started the APU, which improved the outcome of the ditching by ensuring that a primary source of electrical power was available to the airplane and that the airplane remained in normal law and maintained the flight envelope protections, one of which protects against a stall.
What is needed today are pilots like Sullenberger who gell and understand their aircraft rather than criticise because they probably don't understand the technology.