PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 16th Dec 2010, 04:29
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In some countries it is a fact that first officers on airliners are not only barely out of flying school but have no desire at all to be flying aeroplanes in the first place. I well recall training some newly graduated CPL pilots in the 737 simulator for their type ratings. It doesn't matter here what countries they came from. All of the cadets were studying varying non-aviation related subjects in University. One day government officials arrived and directed all students in a particular class or year undergo the medical examinations required for pilots.

Those that passed were then streamed into potential airline pilots and military pilots. In short they were ordered into their new career regardless of their wishes. Readers are aware of the various Air Indian Express mishaps. A colleague of mine flies as an expat captain with that company. He told of his discussions with a female first officer who confessed to him she hated flying.

As she told the story, her parents had consulted an astrologer for his advice on a money earning career for their daughter. Apparently this was SOP in her part of the world. The astrologer's advice was for their daughter to become a pilot. So she was despatched to Miami where she obtained a FAA CPL and also a B737-800 type rating. A year or so later she was a first officer and with no interest in the job. She thus became the cash-cow for her family and said there were many from the sub-continent in the same situation she found herself in.

This then is the up-coming problem. Not only low experience but no desire to fly. I think this is the future and occasional hull losses will be seen as acceptable and the cost of doing business.