PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to get my PPL, but not for a career... (Kent UK)
Old 15th Dec 2010, 17:46
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offering rides

If anyone shows any interest or enthusiasm and I have the time then I make a point of offering a trip. We discuss what they want to get out of the trip and I try and oblige. This generally means upside-down, looping & swooping time.

Those that ask for a ride fall into two camps a) those who are reticent to do so or ask on behalf of a friend b) those that assume because I've taken X up, they have a God-given right!

Both of these tend to happen in the pub or at social events, ie - away from the aeroplane and then arrangements have to be made. I've learned over the years to deploy the three strike rule - I offer three different opporunities to come flying and if they fail to meet any of them then they have forfeited the offer.

I won't take payment for fuel but am occasionally at a later date unexpectedly receive a gift. In the past, I've had gifts of alcohol, venison and just a few months ago, 3 tonnes of barley-straw!

The trick SDOF is to catch me in the right frame of mind at an aerodrome with my aeroplane!