PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA threat to operation of N Reg Aircraft
Old 15th Dec 2010, 16:51
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This pprune thread has links to the existing BASA, so all can be revealed

the EP doesn't particularly like being lied to by the Commission.
Sure, but most of them don't have a sufficiently in-depth knowledge to see it.

Take that EU TC / EASA committee hearing video. The two Brits were reasonably on the case; the rest were mostly a load of shoe-licking time wasters. I don't know why anybody bothers to speak when their main point is to congratulate EASA on the excellent safety record of European commercial aviation (especially as there is no statistical linkage between that and anything that EASA has done).

The problem with a BASA, as I have already written, is that it is a very soft hook on which they are trying to hang a heavy coat. These bilateral agreements tend to be pretty vague. Take the FAA-CAA certification treaty (c. 1992); it is so vague as to be almost useless, and has not resulted in any widespread US STC acceptance that I am aware of. You could easily knock up a bilateral FCL treaty under which the EU accepts FAA licenses provided that the pilot wears three pairs of pink underpants, etc. More to the point, I can't see the USA agreeing to certain things which they currently address with 61.75 and other similar devices, handed out freely - in their current security climate. I am sure the "BASA" is a diversion tactic, designed to fool those who don't understand the issues.